lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] DHCP server support

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] DHCP server support
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 10:06:59 +0100

Christoph Bayer <address@hidden> wrote:
> It would be easier to use Linux, but the MCU plus external memory would be
> much more expensive in comparison to a small single MCU with internal
> RAM/Flash.

That's true of course.

> It should act a a router, between two network interface. So I need
> to implement some kind of routing. This is just a proof of concept at the
> moment, so performance doesn't matter.

I'm not cautious about performance but rather about stability: using a DHCP
server on lwIP is not very common. In general, using lwIP as a network
infrastructure component (I mean like a switch, router, NAT, DHCP server, DNS
server or something) is not very common.

I don't say it doesn't work, but lwIP is mostly used for single-interface
devices providing small standard services (like FTP, HTTP or proprieratry
services). If you make it a central part of your network (like a router or DHCP
server), you should be absolutely sure that it is compatible to all the other
components in your network. In that respect, linux is better suited than lwIP
(that's my opinion, at least).

However, if it's just a proof of concept, my concerns shouldn't hold you back.

Coming back to the DHCP server, using a socket-based implementation is probably
the easiest way to go: socket-based applications are both easier to find and
probably used by more people. The performance is of course not as good as for
raw lwIP applications, but you said that doesn't matter.

Simon