lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] TCP/IP/PPP for bare-metal

From: Sylvain Rochet
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] TCP/IP/PPP for bare-metal
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2015 19:12:44 +0200

Hi Ajay,

On Sat, Aug 22, 2015 at 10:20:27PM +0530, Ajay Garg wrote:

> I am sorry, I am not sure what is meant by an OS here.

OS = FreeRTOS, ChibiOS, … understand something which provide multiple
loops using lightweight threads.

> I presume if there were an OS, then the environment would "not" be
> bare-metal (since we would be depending on the functionalities being
> provided by the OS) ?

In embedded context, bare metal = everything runs in the main loop, no
threads, no context switch, no task priorities.

For lwIP,

NO_SYS = 1 = bare metal, lwIP event handler is integrated within the main loop.

NO_SYS = 0 = threaded, lwIP event handler runs within its own thread.

On a Linux/win32 host, everything obviously runs inside a heavy process,
but the bare metal vs threaded still apply.

Sylvain