lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Link Layer Discovery Protocol

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Link Layer Discovery Protocol
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2015 21:55:48 +0200

Robert Deschambault wrote:
I just read about this protocol and I was wondering what is involved in implementing it using lwIP on an embedded target?

Implementing it is not really an lwIP thing: the protocol itself runs below what lwIP cares for, you just have to ensure you can safely send non-IP packets to your netif and that packets received for LLDP are passed to your protocol implementation, not to lwIP.

Another question is of course where you get the information to send and what to do with received information. Normally, you would integrate it into an SNMP tree, but this is not implemented in the lwIP agent (yet?).

Also, for devices with 2-port switch (as often required for industrial automation protocols), you need to send/receive on dedicated ports, which lwIP is not prepared for, so this is again a bit out of scope for lwIP.

Keeping that aside, if you have an open (i.e. non-GPL) implementation or plan to write one, please let us know ;-)

Simon