lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Link Layer Discovery Protocol

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Link Layer Discovery Protocol
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2015 15:13:53 +0200

Robert Deschambault wrote:
> We use a very simple protocol internally where we send simple UDP messages
> with xml tags
> so we can figure out what devices are on the network.  I was wondering if
> there was a more
> standard way to do these things.  I like standards, especially open ones.

Note that LLDP is not an option here: switches that support LLDP must not
forward these frames. As such, LLDP is only used to discover your direct link
partner, not all devices on the subnet. This is in turn done by traversing SNMP
nodes that provide information about their neighbours (received via LLDP).

I have not yet found an open protocol to implement local subnet device
discovery (ideally with optional broadcast mode to detect devices that have
no/invalid IP configuration).

Simon