lwip-users

[lwip-users] Ping zero checksum, hostname

From: Mark Lederman
Subject: [lwip-users] Ping zero checksum, hostname
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2015 15:24:43 -0700

Hello:

I’m using lwip 1.4.1 with a TI eval board. When I ping the board I get an echo response however the checksum value is zero. On the pc side I get the message “request timed out”. Using a network analyzer and pinging anything else on the network the checksum is not zero. When stepping through the lwip code it does appear to generate a checksum but apparently it’s not transmitted? I’ve tried setting many options but no joy. Do you have any suggestions? It appears the problem I’m having could be the same as another user describes on an ST board.

http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/lwip-users/2013-07/msg00053.html

Part Two: I’d like to be able to ping using the hostname. I enabled DNS and NETIF_HOSTNAME as others have suggested but when I ping the default hostname “lwip” I get the response “Ping request couldn’t find host lwip”. Any suggestions? Ultimately I’d like to be able to enter the hostname in a browser to access the web server. To get the browser working with hostname do I need to implement mDNS (Bonjour protocol) for users on Apple devices and LLMNR for Windows users or is being able to ping using the hostname enough to have it work in the browser?