lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] altcp protocol specification

From: Bas Wijnen
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] altcp protocol specification
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2020 16:58:44 +0000

Thanks for the reply.

On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 02:35:53PM +0200, goldsimon@gmx.de wrote:
> > Is it possible to use lwIP on a system that has a kernel that does IP and
> > does
> > that make sense if I just want to use altcp?
>
> It might be possible, but I don't see much use of it. Anyway, you cannot
> just use the IP address of the existing system doing this.

That's what I thought. I won't be doing that then.

> > If I need to implement my own "driver" (which I suppose shouldn't be very
> > hard), where can I find documentation about the protocol?
>
> It's not a protocol, it's an API. It's the standard lwIP callback API
> for tcp connections, but the nature of the API makes it possible to hide
> from the application the fact that the connection is e.g. TLS in
> reality. Using this, it's relaively easy to convert existing tcp
> applications to use TLS.

Ah. So the resulting connection is just regular TCP, and the other side doesn't
see any difference? In that case what you call altcp and what this hardware
calls altcp is not the same thing. This documentation is about a UDP protocol
which has TCP-like headers to get a connection-based protocol on top of UDP. Am
I correct that that is not what altcp is in the context of this project?

Thanks,
Bas Wijnen