lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Get max throughput UDP handling

From: Patrick Klos
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Get max throughput UDP handling
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2020 07:54:29 -0400

On 10/9/2020 5:02 AM, Mário Luzeiro wrote:
Hello all,

I'm sending UDP messages sequential, at "full speed" from a PC to a MCU (using
Lwip)
I know I'm loosing some UDP messages (I implemented a sequential counter to
debug it)

the udp_recv_fn is doing nothing much and exists almost immediately.

Is it expecting that I lost packages due the CPU performance? (considering that
packages are not lost by other cases)
or how do I know if I have enough CPU power that can handle max communication
rate?

What can I do in LwIP to handle more packages and don't get it lost, any
configurations I should look at?

Mario

Hi Mario,

I presume your MCU's ethernet is 100 Mbps?  Is it connected directly to the PC via ethernet or are they both connected to a switch?  If a switch, what speed is the PC connection to the switch versus the MCU connection?  If the PC is 1 Gbps and the MCU is 100 Mbps, your MCU will never be able to keep up.  What percentage of packet loss are you seeing?

How many packets per second (and what size) are you calling "full speed"?  I've found the LwIP stack on the Tiva was quite reliable and robust enough to support very high speed reception of UDP packets.  I usually queue up the received pbuf's to be processed in the "foreground" for best results (unless your processing of the UDP packets is truly minimal?).

Patrick