lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] SNMPv3 ready for production?

From: Jan Dospěl
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] SNMPv3 ready for production?
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 06:30:54 +0000

Hi Dirk,

Thank you for a comment.

I was surprised at one thing at SNMPv3 specification. How are calculated keys from password at SNMPv3 (appendix A2 of RFC3414). That algorithm requires extensive computing resources (16k x calculating hash SHA1 or MD5) and my poor Corte-M4@80MHz is not happy from that. Does anyone know some less computing time expensive way how calculate key. For my Cortex-M4@80Hz it takes calculating 7 sec with SHA1 hardware acceleration and 9 sec with software SHA1.

Implementation of that algorithm at RFC3414 (same at newer RFC7630) not make me sense. It requires many CPU cycles and significantly decrease security. How such thing can be at RFC?

Jan