lwip-users

[lwip-users] mDNS behaviour on IP address change

From: massimiliano cialdi
Subject: [lwip-users] mDNS behaviour on IP address change
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 11:02:35 +0100

hello,

In RFC 6762 I find (section 8):

"Whenever a Multicast DNS responder starts up, wakes up from sleep,
receives an indication of a network interface "Link Change" event, or
has any other reason to believe that its network connectivity may
have changed in some relevant way, it MUST perform the two startup
steps below: Probing (Section 8.1) and Announcing (Section 8.3)."

Does the IP change fall under one of the reasons for reannouncement? In my opinion it should but I'm not sure. I mean, if I set LWIP_DHCP_AUTOIP_COOP and assigned a link-local address, and then a dhcp server is turned on, my IP address changes. I believe that this should require sending a new announcement to inform of the newly acquired IP.

Lwip doesn't seem to act like that, but I don't know if it should. What do you guys think?

best regards

Max

Massimiliano Cialdi
FIRMWARE ENGINEERING PROFESSIONAL LEADER

Powersoft S.p.A.
Via E. Conti, 5 - Scandicci (Fi) 50018 - Italy
OFFICE:    +39 055 7350230