lwip-users

[lwip-users] Memory leak due to synthesized DDoS

From: Stephen Cowell
Subject: [lwip-users] Memory leak due to synthesized DDoS
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 20:46:22 -0500

My product is a modbus TCPIP board, using the Atmel SAM4E16E based off of the SAM4E-EK.  It is using LWiP 1.4.1 with pbuf.c and pbuf.h from version 2.1.3.  I know... cringe... but I did this recently, during troubleshooting... helped some, see below.

I'm banging it real hard using DaqFactory to create two simultaneous threads sending modbus requests to the same port/address.  As I do this I can see the pbuf_pool pbufs being created higher and higher up the pool... I can debug on the pbuf deallocation and see that the ->next is NULL, so there is no connection to the rest of the chain.  If I let this go on for long enough the processor will hard fault.

I had this behavior happen very quickly before I moved from LWiP mem management to GNU C library malloc()... now it takes a long time to die.  Also, after I spliced in the pbuf code from the latest-greatest it did seem to become more robust... but I can still watch the allocated pbufs climb up the pool, leaving behind orphan pbufs as a memory leak.

I guess my main question is... should LWiP be able to survive this kind of abuse?  I'm able to hit it with requests about every two milliseconds... and it takes about an hour before it runs out of memory.  Would I notice any improvement by completing the port to 2.1.3 (a significant effort)?  Is LWiP tested in this way?  It's worth noting that DaqFactory is glitching the inputs it receives sometimes... but Wireshark shows them to be rock solid (when there's not a timeout or port locked complaint).  Am I abusing it too hard? Thanks for your time... Steve.