lynx-dev

[Lynx-dev] Converting Unicode characters to ASCII: Control Pictures bloc

From: Tim Chase
Subject: [Lynx-dev] Converting Unicode characters to ASCII: Control Pictures block
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2022 13:41:57 +0000

I recently used the Unicode character 'SYMBOL FOR ESCAPE' (U+241B)
in a reply:

https://www.reddit.com/r/vim/comments/zrz87e/but_can_your_ide_do_this/j16mu84/

and was curious how it rendered in lynx.  So I pulled up that comment
and this test page (which puts it in a UTF8 textbox):

https://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/241b/browsertest.htm

but it looks like it causes weird behaviors.

I tried it in several terminals (xterm, urxvt, and st) with a variety
of fonts to confirm that the glyph itself renders in some of them.
I'd expected that lynx would either render the character directly or
transliterate it to something like "[ESC]" like lynx does in some
cases with trademark & copyright symbols, using something like
"(TM)" and "(C)".  But it appeard to do neither.  As best I can
tell, it gets dropped when it appears in regular HTML, and rendered
as some attempt at a Unicode escaping of the numeric form when
rendered in a textbox.

Testing a few other characters in this Unicode block seems to produce
the same behavior.

I'm not sure what the solution is here (whether emitting it directly
or transliterating it), but figured I'd at least mention it.

-tkc