lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Converting Unicode characters to ASCII: Control Pictures

From: Tim Chase
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Converting Unicode characters to ASCII: Control Pictures block
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2022 20:55:52 +0000

On 2022-12-25 13:57, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> Tim Chase dixit:
>> but it looks like it causes weird behaviors.
>
> Huh? Works well for me. It just outputs the character, which
> is a printable character. Are you sure you have your terminal
> and lynx in UTF-8 mode both?

My locale is pretty boring:

  $ locale
  LANG=en_US.UTF-8
  LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
  LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
  LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
  LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
  LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
  LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
  LC_ALL=

and as shown in the attached screenshot, using printf to write that
[esc] character to the screen displays fine (it displays as expected).
However, when I view it in lynx, it shows nothing (as captured in
the second screenshot)

If I force the display charset using

  lynx --display_charset=utf-8 delme.html

it does render the character as you describe.  So I think you've
tracked where the breakdown is happening.  Is there some environment
variable I've missed to inform lynx that this particular terminal
is UTF8 aware?  What does lynx use to determine terminal utf8'ness
if it's not explicitly specified on with --display_charset?

Thanks!

-tkc