m17n-list

Re: [m17n-list] Full-width punctuation for CJK

From: K. Handa
Subject: Re: [m17n-list] Full-width punctuation for CJK
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 21:51:34 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Dan Cecile <address@hidden> writes:

> I've been working with "zh-bopomofo" input method, and I much prefer to
> write whole sentences using full-width punctuation.

> This snippet seems to work fine for me (but it doesn't have any rules for
> brackets or quotation marks):

>   ("<" ?,)
>   (">" ?。)
>   ("\" ?、)
>   ("?" ??)
>   ("!" ?!)
>   ("^" "……")

It may be ok to add mapping for full-width punctuations, but
I don't understand the third and fifth rules above.  Are
they from any standard?

> I see that "ja-anthy" and "ko-romaja" already have mappings to full-width
> punctuation, so if the only other non-Latin CJK input method is
> "zh-bopomofo", maybe it should also be switched over?

ko-romaja includes cjk-util which provides the following facility:
The fullwidth mode is turned on by typing ">>", and turned off
by typing "<<".

The single fullwidth mode is turned on by typing "Z".  In this
mode, any key typed is converted to the fullwidth character and
is inserted, then the mode is turned off.

Which do you prefer?  Shifting method as above, or direct
typing (i.e. non-shifting) as the mapping rules you showed?

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden