m17n-list

Re: [m17n-list] Full-width punctuation for CJK

From: Dan Cecile
Subject: Re: [m17n-list] Full-width punctuation for CJK
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2014 11:26:21 +0800

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 8:51 PM, K. Handa <address@hidden> wrote:

> In article <address@hidden>, Dan Cecile <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I've been working with "zh-bopomofo" input method, and I much prefer to
> > write whole sentences using full-width punctuation.
>
> > This snippet seems to work fine for me (but it doesn't have any rules for
> > brackets or quotation marks):
>
> >   ("<" ?,)
> >   (">" ?。)
> >   ("\" ?、)
> >   ("?" ??)
> >   ("!" ?!)
> >   ("^" "……")
>
> It may be ok to add mapping for full-width punctuations, but
> I don't understand the third and fifth rules above.  Are
> they from any standard?

I'm having a hard time finding any real documentation on Chinese IME
for the "enumeration comma" and the "6-dot ellipsis". This webpage
mentions them, and the shortcuts work for the IMEs I have installed
(except for the
"dividing dot"):

        http://www.daochinasite.com/eng/study/inputips.shtml

> > I see that "ja-anthy" and "ko-romaja" already have mappings to full-width
> > punctuation, so if the only other non-Latin CJK input method is
> > "zh-bopomofo", maybe it should also be switched over?
>
> ko-romaja includes cjk-util which provides the following facility:
> The fullwidth mode is turned on by typing ">>", and turned off
> by typing "<<".
>
> The single fullwidth mode is turned on by typing "Z".  In this
> mode, any key typed is converted to the fullwidth character and
> is inserted, then the mode is turned off.
>
> Which do you prefer?  Shifting method as above, or direct
> typing (i.e. non-shifting) as the mapping rules you showed?
>
> ---
> Kenichi Handa
> address@hidden

Hmm maybe some kind of shifting would be better, because allowing the
user to toggle full/half-width is how most IMEs tackle this. But I
don't have a strong use case for shifting, because I don't think I'd
ever need half-width punctuation (it looks odd to me in a block of CJK
text).

Cheers,
Dan