m17n-list

Re: [m17n-list] Cedilla

From: Florêncio Neves
Subject: Re: [m17n-list] Cedilla
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 16:43:59 -0400

I thought a little more about this and I concluded that the most
reasonable thing to do here is to provide a faithful copy of
Microsoft's US International keyboard layout.

This is a keyboard layout that allows you to insert all Latin-1
(ISO-8859-1) characters, and nothing else.  Besides solving the
cedilla issue, it has a nice balance between coverage and
intrusiveness.  You can get all of the most common accented characters
used in Western European languages ('a to get an á, "a for ä, etc),
but lacks inexistent combinations in those languages ('s does not
produce ś, for example).  This is handy for people who type a mixture
of English (where the sequences 's and 't occur frequently but there
is no ś) and some other Western European language.

Also, this keyboard layout has been available in Windows for a very
long time and some people coming from that platform may find it handy
to have an identical keyboard in thier *nix system.

A description of this layout can be found in several places:
 * http://www.forlang.wsu.edu/help/keyboards1.asp
 * http://www.microsoft.com/resources/msdn/goglobal/keyboards/kbdusx.html
 * https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QWERTY#US-International