m17n-list

Re: [m17n-list] Cedilla

From: Florêncio Neves
Subject: Re: [m17n-list] Cedilla
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 10:53:07 -0400

On 8/29/14, K. Handa <address@hidden> wrote:
> In article
> <address@hidden>,
> Florêncio Neves <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I thought a little more about this and I concluded that the most
>> reasonable thing to do here is to provide a faithful copy of
>> Microsoft's US International keyboard layout.
>
>> This is a keyboard layout that allows you to insert all Latin-1
>> (ISO-8859-1) characters, and nothing else.  Besides solving the
>> cedilla issue, it has a nice balance between coverage and
>> intrusiveness.  You can get all of the most common accented characters
>> used in Western European languages ('a to get an á, "a for ä, etc),
>> but lacks inexistent combinations in those languages ('s does not
>> produce ś, for example).  This is handy for people who type a mixture
>> of English (where the sequences 's and 't occur frequently but there
>> is no ś) and some other Western European language.
>
> It is ok to provide a latin-1-only version of latn-pre input
> method, but could you suggest a concrete keymaps?

The concrete keymap I suggest is the one described in the links below
(they are all equivalent).  Or am I misunderstanding your question?

>> A description of this layout can be found in several places:
>>  * http://www.forlang.wsu.edu/help/keyboards1.asp
>>  * http://www.microsoft.com/resources/msdn/goglobal/keyboards/kbdusx.html
>>  * https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QWERTY#US-International
>
> Input methods in those page also use Alt, AltGr, RightALt.
> Are you suggesting to support them too?

Yes, the AltGr (=RightAlt) combinations have been there historically
so I guess m17n should have them.  LeftAlt of course should be kept
with its original funcition.