m17n-list

[m17n-list] Is non-ASCII input possible in m17n input methods?

From: Mike FABIAN
Subject: [m17n-list] Is non-ASCII input possible in m17n input methods?
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2016 10:04:00 +0200

I am trying to create an input method for Old Hungarian.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Hungarian_alphabet

My current attempt is attached. But it seems to be impossible
to use non-ASCII as the input, for example:

(map
 (trans
  ("u" ?𐳪)  ;; <--- This works.
  ("ü" ?𐳬)  ;; <--- This does not work.
  ))

(state
  (init
    (trans)))

The Hungarian keyboard looks like:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QWERTZ#/media/File:KB_Hungary.svg

So instead of using

  ("ü" ?𐳬)

one could try to use
  ("_" ?𐳬)

and use a US keyboard layout. Because the US keyboard layout has a "_"
where the Hungarian keyboard layout has a "ü".

But the US keyboard layout lacks the key between the left shift key
and the Y key (i.e. the <LSGT> key in xkb). So when simulating the
Hungarian keyboard layout with the US layout, it becomes confusing where
to put the "í" and "Í".

The /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/hu file puts "í" and "Í" additionally
on the "i" key with AltGr:

    key <AD08>  { [            i,            I,            Iacute,
iacute ] };

(although the order of the lower case and upper case seems wrong here ...)
and optionally for 101 key keyboards

So one could use this style to simulate a Hungarian keyboard layout
with the US layout to create an Old Hungarian input method for m17n-db.

But wouldn’t it more natural if non-ASCII input like "ü" could be used
in m17n-db?

--
Mike FABIAN <address@hidden>
睡眠不足はいい仕事の敵だ。