maposmatic-dev

Re: [Maposmatic-dev] Implementing database update

From: Thomas Petazzoni
Subject: Re: [Maposmatic-dev] Implementing database update
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 00:16:42 +0200

Le Mon, 7 Sep 2009 23:47:48 +0200,
David MENTRE <address@hidden> a écrit :

> Once again, this seems to me much too complicated without any benefit.
>
> Either you want a real database regular update and follow OSM rules,
> using osmosis to import daily or minute diffs.
>
> Or you don't care that much, shut down the web service, import the
> france.osm.bz2 and then restore the web service. The imports takes
> about half an hour, maybe less.
>
> The former approach is working even for the planet. The later works
> only with france.osm.bz2 and is not scalable (not counting that you
> have a service interruption).

Well, doing a proper service shutdown involves replacing the homepage
with something saying "We're updating the database, please come again
in one hour". It's also complicated in some way.

The issue in my proposal is more on access rights, because it means
that the script must be allowed to create new databases on the
PostgreSQL server.

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni                         http://thomas.enix.org