maposmatic-dev

Re: [Maposmatic-dev] Implementing database update

From: David MENTRE
Subject: Re: [Maposmatic-dev] Implementing database update
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 23:47:48 +0200

Hello Thomas,

2009/9/7 Thomas Petazzoni <address@hidden>:
>  2. Runs osm2pgsql to import the data fix a prefix different from
>    planet_osm
>
>  3. Run a single query that drop the old tables and rename the new
>    tables to the old tables

[...]

> Another solution we could experiment is the following :
>
>  1. Downloads france.osm.bz2
>
>  2. Create a new PostgreSQL user and a new PostgreSQL database

Once again, this seems to me much too complicated without any benefit.

Either you want a real database regular update and follow OSM rules,
using osmosis to import daily or minute diffs.

Or you don't care that much, shut down the web service, import the
france.osm.bz2 and then restore the web service. The imports takes
about half an hour, maybe less.

The former approach is working even for the planet. The later works
only with france.osm.bz2 and is not scalable (not counting that you
have a service interruption).

Yes, I know, I tend to prefer crude approaches. ;-)

Yours,
d.