maposmatic-dev

Re: [Maposmatic-dev] place=locality #9699

From: David MENTRE
Subject: Re: [Maposmatic-dev] place=locality #9699
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 10:06:27 +0200

Hello Florian,

2012/9/7 Florian Lohoff <address@hidden>:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:place
>
> I just talk about place=locality which is from the OSM Wiki an
>
>         "For an unpopulated named place."
>
> So it cant be a "Village" or "Dorf". Its a named place.

Unfortunately, French mappers have a different view:

 https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/FR:Key:place
"Le tag "place" est une indication de ville, village, hameau, etc."
In English: ""place" tag is an indication of city, village, hamlet, etc.".

I am not saying that the French view is better than the German one or
the reverse. Just that there is a disagreement and if we remove
place=locality from Index, we'll get angry messages from French
mappers. :-)

> So
> i think putting place=hamlet and/or isolated_dwelling into
> the index "Villages" would be okay - but place=locality is not.

Any other opinion for this list readers?

> Just subscribed and CCed

Thanks!

Best regards,
david