maposmatic-dev

Re: [Maposmatic-dev] place=locality #9699

From: Florian Lohoff
Subject: Re: [Maposmatic-dev] place=locality #9699
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 10:12:00 +0200

On Fri, Sep 07, 2012 at 10:06:27AM +0200, David MENTRE wrote:
> Hello Florian,
>
> 2012/9/7 Florian Lohoff <address@hidden>:
> > http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:place
> >
> > I just talk about place=locality which is from the OSM Wiki an
> >
> >         "For an unpopulated named place."
> >
> > So it cant be a "Village" or "Dorf". Its a named place.
>
> Unfortunately, French mappers have a different view:
>
>  https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/FR:Key:place
> "Le tag "place" est une indication de ville, village, hameau, etc."
> In English: ""place" tag is an indication of city, village, hamlet, etc.".
>
> I am not saying that the French view is better than the German one or
> the reverse. Just that there is a disagreement and if we remove
> place=locality from Index, we'll get angry messages from French
> mappers. :-)

There is a multitude of place= values which are definitly not a
Village/City

        farm
        continent
        county
        island
        locality
        region
        state

These should all be ignored when building the index for Villages.

It should more be a positive list of tag values which get listed -
something like:

        town
        village
        hamlet
        isolated_dwelling
        suburb

There should be some duplicate eliminating when the name shows up in the
Map title. e.g. dont list "Gütersloh" when that shows up in the map
title ...

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                                                 address@hidden