mediagoblin-devel

Development Ideas for MediaGoblin's Docs

From: jgart
Subject: Development Ideas for MediaGoblin's Docs
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2021 00:06:30 +0000

Hi Goblineers,

What do you think of mediagoblin having markdown for its docs in the future
instead of reStructuredText?

I was thinking of using MkDocs: https://www.mkdocs.org/

My motivation for having having mediagoblin's docs in markdown is for reasons
of accessibility. New contributors or those not familiar with reST will more
than likely feel more comfortable making contributions to mediagoblin docs if
they were written in markdown.

Most text editors also support markdown syntax so it's likely that a beginner
would have a higher probabability of easily finding support for markdown and
not run into as many issues.

Markdown can also be easily previewed in a web browser. It's not as easy to
find reST previewers/renderers.

11.2k projects depend on MkDocs on github alone.

It would be quite easy to convert the mediagoblin codebase to markdown with
pandoc.

What do you think?

jgart

ps

I'm working on packaging MkDocs for guix. I'll let you know as soon as it's
merged upstream.