mediagoblin-devel

Re: Feature Request Idea - Server Sent Musical Scores

From: hjenkins
Subject: Re: Feature Request Idea - Server Sent Musical Scores
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 11:06:01 -0700

This sounds like an excellent feature.

Apart from ly2video, lilypondToBandVideoConverter and a third approach called mkvideo seem to exist.

I realize this feature might add a lot of complexity, probably in the way in which Lilypond renders scores, but it would be very nice to have a way of marking the portion of music currently playing. Say, highlighting the notes while they are being sounded, or having a cursor passing along the staff (at least hitting the end of each bar on-cue, maybe a ball bouncing along if it's too hard to interpolate correctly). This would be useful for teaching sight-reading of music, just as a pointer or finger is useful in learning to read text.

And this is even more complex, but there would be a lot of utility in a method for controlling the speed (either a manual paging feature like W3C Slidy, or a continuous system that counts beats from a microphone or conductor's baton). If you're having a music group run through a new piece, scrolling scores on a overhead display would save everyone from carrying around paper scores (which get lost and blow away and rained upon and so on) and music stands (which are cumbrous and fall over with a clatter). It would also improve attention to a conductor standing near the screen, and improve posture.

Given that an increasing number of illiterate people are online with mobiles, a simpler but parallel functionality might simply convert a text into a video with a synthesized voice and scrolling text. It could mark the future, current, and past text in three different styles and colours, and optionally add concurrent visual media. Even if this only worked in English, it would aid literacy and access to information in places like India.