mediagoblin-devel

Re: Add cc0 license to guix package

From: jgart
Subject: Re: Add cc0 license to guix package
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 15:29:07 -0400

On Fri, 17 Sep 2021 12:50:12 +1000 Ben Sturmfels <ben@sturm.com.au> wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Sep 2021, jgart wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 17 Sep 2021 11:26:20 +1000 Ben Sturmfels <ben@sturm.com.au> wrote:
> >> Thanks for the patch. Is the reason for the patch that the MediaGoblin
> >> docs are CC0? Do other packages include their docs license in the Guix
> >> package definition?
> >
> > From a quick glance in the guix repo with ripgrep I'll mention just
> > these two below that are using cc0 for their docs.
> >
> > The ripgrep command I ran was `rg license:cc0 -t lisp` in case it is useful
> > to anyone else.
> >
> > See mame:
> >
> > `guix edit mame`
>
> Thanks, though mame uses CC0 for artwork, keymaps and translations. I'm
> interested in whether the documentation license is commonly listed in
> the Guix licenses or not. Looking at "emacs" for example, it doesn't
> seem to.

Hi Ben,

See this thread that I opened:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2021-09/msg00076.html

I'm not sure about emacs but if you grep for fdl across the guix codebase you'll
see lots of packages that include the Free Documentation License as part of the
package definition

`grep -R license:fdl`

Let's wait and see if more people chime in to share info regarding what the
official policy is for including documentation licenses of software projects in
the guix package definition.

I'm cc'ing Arun Isaac in case he might know.

Hi Arun,

We're in the process of packaging GNU MediaGoblin for Guix and would like to
know
what the protocol is for mentioning the license of the project's documentation.

Would you happen to know?

GNU MediaGoblin includes documentation that is released under a Creative Commons
License.

Guix has a license record instance for cc0.

Also,

The service that you showed the other day for GeneNetwork3 might serve as
a close model for GNU MediaGoblin since they are both python web apps that use
a wsgi server, db, nginx, and redis.

GNU MediaGoblin uses a mysql db, nginx, redis (via celery), and waitress (WSGI
server).

Do you happen to have that Guix System service published anywhere yet?

all best,

jgart