Re: New monit sale pitch

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: New monit sale pitch
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 00:17:08 +0100

I have made some progress last week (mainly weekend) and i think the it is cca. 50% done. This week i'm on the training until friday and every day as soon as i'm back from training i'm starting normal work (which is pretty awfull and don't provide any space for monit development :(

I will keep dependency stuff between new tasks (directory/file/device) monitoring too => it will be possible to define for example:

check device /data
name fs-data
start program = "/usr/sbin/mount /data"
stop program = "/usr/sbin/umount /data"
if space used > 60% then alert
if space used > 95% then stop
if inode used > 60% then alert
if inode free < 1000 then stop

check mailserver ...
 depends fs-data

There are yet lot of things to do, as soon as i will have it ready, i will submit the patch to the list for discussion.

This will allow interesting things such as automatic stop of process before the filesystem will run over, which will prevent data inconsistencies. Next good property will be advanced clustering feature - you could have shared storage start with node process group. If we will implement SCSI reservation and SCSI ping, monit will become nearly full-featured cluster manager.

Regarded to device, etc. stuff i think it will be better to use somthing like:

monit - system for monitoring services

and

"Monit Service Manager"

etc.

Martin

Jan-Henrik Haukeland wrote:

The 3.2 release seems to go well, no complaints yet, and almost 140
downloads so far.

When Martin is done implementing the device check (which I really look
forward to) monit will start to become something more than a simple
daemon manager and I think we will need new marketing material. In the
man file monit is described as:

NAME
      monit - system for monitoring programs

DESCRIPTION
      monit is a utility for monitoring and managing daemons or
      similar programs running on a Unix system;

And the web interface says: "Monit Process Manager"

Anyone with new marketing suggestions?