Re: syslog facility

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: syslog facility
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 11:04:31 +0200

I though about different syntax:

set logfile {/path/to/log|syslog [[with] facility xxx]}

where 'facility' is new statement optional for syslog, 'xxx' is choice of 'auth', 'authpriv', 'cron', 'daemon', 'ftp', 'kern', 'lpr', 'mail', 'mark', 'news', 'security' (same as auth), 'syslog', 'user', 'uucp' and 'local0' through 'local7'. It is complete list of facility names which is used/supported by syslog daemons too - i think it will be better to use these common names (more friendly to user).

Taken from syslog.h:

CODE facilitynames[] =
 {
   { "auth", LOG_AUTH },
   { "authpriv", LOG_AUTHPRIV },
   { "cron", LOG_CRON },
   { "daemon", LOG_DAEMON },
   { "ftp", LOG_FTP },
   { "kern", LOG_KERN },
   { "lpr", LOG_LPR },
   { "mail", LOG_MAIL },
   { "mark", INTERNAL_MARK },          /* INTERNAL */
   { "news", LOG_NEWS },
   { "security", LOG_AUTH },           /* DEPRECATED */
   { "syslog", LOG_SYSLOG },
   { "user", LOG_USER },
   { "uucp", LOG_UUCP },
   { "local0", LOG_LOCAL0 },
   { "local1", LOG_LOCAL1 },
   { "local2", LOG_LOCAL2 },
   { "local3", LOG_LOCAL3 },
   { "local4", LOG_LOCAL4 },
   { "local5", LOG_LOCAL5 },
   { "local6", LOG_LOCAL6 },
   { "local7", LOG_LOCAL7 },
   { NULL, -1 }
 };

What about such syntax for facility?

Hint with individual priority for log messages sounds good - it will be possible to differentiate less or more important messages.
+1 for it

Martin

address@hidden wrote:

I've added the capability to choose LOG_LOCALn (see cvs comments).

I'll add the docs later. While I'm at it, it looks like I need to:

make sure everything compiles and runs on Solaris and FreeBSD
finish MacOSX

Also, I noticed we log everything as LOG_ERROR. (I spent an hour trying to
figure out why my openlog() call wasn't working like I thought it was,
only to find we invoked
syslog(LOG_USR|LOG_ERR, "")

Anyway, I think it would be worthwhile to add a parameter to log() that is
ignored unless we're using syslog. This would pass the priority to syslog.
So, for adding priority to individual log messages: +1

Super :)

I'm working on device stuff again (after lot of weeks being busy for my
employer + health). I will prepare next patch on sunday, maybe it will
be mature enough to sync it into CVS.

Martin

Rory Toma wrote:

I agree (+1) and I'll put it in next week (after I finish rewriting
some Makefiles at work...)