Re: syslog facility

From: Christian Hopp
Subject: Re: syslog facility
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 13:25:28 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 4 Jun 2003, Martin Pala wrote:

> I though about different syntax:
>
> set logfile {/path/to/log|syslog [[with] facility xxx]}
>
> where 'facility' is new statement optional for syslog, 'xxx' is choice
> of 'auth', 'authpriv', 'cron', 'daemon', 'ftp', 'kern', 'lpr', 'mail',
> 'mark', 'news', 'security' (same as  auth),  'syslog',  'user',  'uucp'
> and 'local0' through 'local7'. It is complete list of facility names
> which is used/supported by syslog daemons too - i think it will be
> better to use these common names (more friendly to user).
>
> Taken from syslog.h:
>
> CODE facilitynames[] =

(...)

>   };
>
> What about such syntax for facility?
>

> Hint with individual priority for log messages sounds good - it will be
> possible to differentiate less or more important messages.
> +1 for it

They sound +1 to me.  But, we should be generally careful that we have a
small number of "reserved words".  Users could get easily annoyed if
they have to search a whole day of a service name with isn't already
reserved by monit.  Maybe it is possible to have separate namespaces
for all our symbols.

Christian

--
Christian Hopp                                email: address@hidden
Institut für Elektrische Informationstechnik             fon: +49-5323-72-2113