Re: Log warning!

From: Christian Hopp
Subject: Re: Log warning!
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 09:29:21 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 5 Jun 2003, Jan-Henrik Haukeland wrote:

> Christian Hopp <address@hidden> writes:

Moin!

> > I just moved my monit dev tree to my laptop (debian unstable,
> > gcc-3.3).  And it just threw me a warning,
> >
> >  monitor.h:391: warning: conflicting types for built-in function `log'
> >
> > Of course it referrers to the nonlinear mathematical function, which
> > is not even included by us (and not even -lm).
> >
> > Shall we change this perfect name to something non-perfect?  What
> > about, lprintf (or logprintf) ... a bit long, but isn't it what it's
> > about?
>
> Clearly there must be a bug in your debian!?

'My debian' doesNOT have a bug! (-:  My computer systems and bugs that
contradicts! (-:

> I mean, how is it possible to have log from math.h included if you
> do not ask for it!?

Compiler bug c/9482: math builtins are always visible

FYI:
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-prs/2003-01/msg01599.html

> BTW, I do not think we should replace our 'log' unless it's *really*
> necessary; that is, if libc or a lib we need to link with suddenly
> should contain a function named log.

But if we change it, we could avoid later name clashes or clashes on
systems which might have a combined m-c lib (is there any?).

> (But this *must* be a bug in your debian?)

Thanx for your sympathy concerning by computers but my debian doesn't
have a bug it's gcc!

> [1] It would be interesting to know if you could find out how and
> which header-file include "log". You could for instance try to run
> only the preprocessor and look at the output. Using the -E switch with
> gcc stops the compiler after the preprocessing stage.

Tried it... and of course we do not include math.h somehow!

CHopp

--
Christian Hopp                                email: address@hidden
Institut für Elektrische Informationstechnik             fon: +49-5323-72-2113