Re: monit l.l p.y

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: monit l.l p.y
Date: 19 Jun 2003 22:28:26 +0200

Christian Hopp <address@hidden> writes:

> > Mmmph... I haven't thought about DEPEND!
> >
> > I think we can do it if we change the syntax to,
> >
> > DEPENDS foo, bar, foobar
> >
> > with ",".
> >

> I have a patch ready!  With the language above we can use DEPEND(S)?
> without reserved word restrictions.  That means the DEPEND syntax has
> changed!  Gimme your votes on that one please... +1 is mine!
>
> Additionally the l.l code is improved, no additional function are
> used.  Everything is handled with conditions.
>
> And finally I got rid of the yyunput warning... because I need
> unput(). (-:
>
> Please no syncs,  until I have synced this one!

Good sales pitch! I'm not sure if I got how the new DEPEND syntax will
be, but the sales arguments was convincing :) Here's my +1

> PS:  Language hacking gives you really headache!

Maybe, but creating a parser/lexer and a language is the most fun part
of any project, at least in my book. For instance in the zervlet
project I created a compleate lexer and parser for the HTTP protcol.
No code using sscanf, strchr strcmp and suchs there. I even put in a
XML parser using bison and re2c as the lexer. If you haven't tried the
zervlet stuff yet I really recommend it, I may be biased tough :)
<URL:http://zervlet.com/>

Ps. I was away yesterday and today visiting my brother. You may
remember that I have been working most of this spring as a carpenter,
helping him to build a house for the family. Last week a tragic thing
happened, the night before they should move in to the new house it
burned down. We are just grateful that this happened before they had
moved in, but in any event it was a shock to us all.

You can see the burnt down house here and a picture of my very unhappy
brother with family:

 http://www.varden.no/apps/pbcs.dll/artikkel?AID=/20030610/NYHET/106100059

--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland