Re: Proposal: Change directory layout

From: Christian Hopp
Subject: Re: Proposal: Change directory layout
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 16:44:28 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, Jan-Henrik Haukeland wrote:

> Christian Hopp <address@hidden> writes:
> > Lets do it after releasing 4.0... or?
>
> Yes, agree, it's best to wait with this stunt to after the important
> 4.0 release, in case this would annihilate the CVS repository.

Or in case we NEED to annihilate the CVS repository. (-:

> > But anyways I am not only +1 for it and not +10 for it I am +100 for
> > it! (-: I require a m4/ in the main tree!  Please put also ALL the
> > docs in DOC.
>
> Which files are you classifying as doc? I think that at least the
> following should stay in the main dir; CHANGES.txt, CONTRIBUTORS,
> COPYING, LICENSE, README, STATUS and (maybe the example) monitrc.

I would put the monitrc in doc!

Btw. the man page (or soon to be man pages) should be put in a dir
called man.

> > Should also think whether to name Textfiles with ".txt" or not... I
> > think without .txt would be okay.  But we do have a common layout!
>
> I also think that without .txt is the best, but it's a bit more
> complicated; files that can be downloaded from a web-server, e.g.
> CHANGES.txt and FAQ.txt *must* have the .txt suffix so the http server
> knows which mime-type it should use for the file. (well actually
> FAQ.txt is not exposed to a web server other than via SSI)

Usually it is used without ending, and it shouldn't be a problem, or?

CHopp

--
Christian Hopp                                email: address@hidden
Institut für Elektrische Informationstechnik             fon: +49-5323-72-2113