Re: Another 4.0 problem!

From: Christian Hopp
Subject: Re: Another 4.0 problem!
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 17:39:00 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Martin Pala wrote:

> Christian Hopp wrote:
>
> >Hi!
> >
> >The monit CLI interface doesn't behave correctly... in SSL and nonSSL.
> >Monit is neither starting or stopping an app.  The status is done locally
> >and monit is often complaining "The monit server did not return a process,
> >device, file, directory or host record." => Socket connection is
> >successful... but unknown data has been received.
> >
> >In most case monit does receive 0 bytes from the http server. Sometimes it
> >just does local status.
> >
> >If I inspect it in gdb it seems not to complain it simply does the
> >local status.
> >
> >It seems that first of all there is something in socket_read...
> >--- status.c, remote_status() ---
> >    if(0>(n= socket_read(sock, buf, BIGSTRLEN))) {
> >---
> >which is returning -1 or 0.
> >
> >But the http support via web browser is working. => problem might be on the
> >client side.
> >
> >I can verify this bug back to 4.0beta4... thats the oldest I have!
> >
> >Now I have tried a much smaller and simpler monitrc (just 7
> >check... compared to 78 in my real-life server monitrc)... and it
> >works perfectly fine!  Any idea????
> >
> >CHopp
> >

> I saw this problem during tests (on Debian unstable) too - monit httpd
> failed to start:
>
> Sep  1 17:34:32 unicorn monit[5120]: Starting monit daemon
> Sep  1 17:34:32 unicorn monit[5120]: Starting httpd at [127.0.0.1:2812]
> Sep  1 17:34:32 unicorn monit[5124]: http server: Could not create a
> server socket at port 2812 -- Cannot assign requested address
> Sep  1 17:34:32 unicorn monit[5124]: monit HTTP server not available
>
> Thereafter "monit status" has exactly the same behavior as you
> descripted. You can't figure out the problem from console - on console
> you see only the first two lines:
>
> Starting monit daemon
> Starting httpd at [127.0.0.1:2812]
>
> I saw it fewtimes in the past and tried to replicate it, but was not
> able to do so. The problem usualy occured when the computer was under
> high load and after the system was freshly started (the 2812 port was
> not used by any other application in the time or before monit tried to
> start). After i stopped monit and started it again, monit httpd binded
> without problems every time i tried to restart monit ragerdless of
> ratio. I tried to find the problem in the code - it seemed to me that
> the system call failed.
>
> I'm not sure - probably the problem is not in monit and it could be
> solved when we will not terminate httpd startup on first error, but try
> to start it in some timeframe or reach some error ratio until its
> startup will timeout.

No... this is not a http bind problem.  Using a web browser it works
perfectly fine! And...

----
Sep 18 15:32:20 iei1 monit[6913]: Starting monit daemon
Sep 18 15:32:20 iei1 monit[6913]: Starting httpd at [iei1:2813]
----

... nothing else.  The problem must be, unfortunately in monit!

CHopp

--
Christian Hopp                                email: address@hidden
Institut für Elektrische Informationstechnik             fon: +49-5323-72-2113