Re: it scares me a bit...

From: alex black
Subject: Re: it scares me a bit...
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 11:37:03 -0800

hey vlada -

first a caveat, I'm just a user and haven't been on this list - on to my points:

I do not agree the project must be added features all-the-time to be
considered alive.

I agree completely with that. Many (simple) things I use suffer from constant development instead of pragmatic bugfixing and optimization.

Please, always think hard before you accept new ideas, have
no mercy. Get the lot of user feedback on the topic first. You may make
one or two users happy with the feature, but things get more difficult
for the rest of the community from that moment! Also newscomers will
have it harder to read the docs, many more wont manage it...

I agree wit that as well - but at the same time I think my feature suggestion was accepted because it fits in well with what monit does - precisely because it has the capability to restart processes which do not respond properly to tests.

It's all very well and good if apache is running - but if something else has screwed up (either in code recently promoted, configuration, etc) then it's useless. The only way I can be satisfied that it is running correctly is to have some ability to test URLs - if those tests fail it's great to get a message from monit saying something like... I tried to restart apache to solve this problem but that didn't work - time for you to do something.

I think that belongs in monit, and I don't think it breaks KISS :) The whole point in my mind of monit is to ensure that services are working as expected. For many daemons that just means "is it listening" but for others I think it requires more sophisticated checks.

Thanks for monit.

Yes thanks VERY much for monit. It has already saved me a lot of time and annoyance :)

_alex