Re: [Monotone-devel] update error

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] update error
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 14:02:22 -0700

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 01:59:19AM -0400, graydon hoare wrote:
> I'd like something (either status or some other
> command) which seeks out an appropriate update target and merely tells
> you what updating would involve, doesn't actually do it. would this be
> better in a separate command, or in status?

Random idea for reconceptualizing the problem: perhaps a general or
just update-specific --dry-run switch would be useful?  So then update
--dry-run would be the command that you suggest (and this would be
nice UI-wise, because after the user decides they're satisfied with
their sort options, they can delete --dry-run and re-run the command
-- this seems like a likely common use-case).

"But in Middle-earth, the distinct accusative case disappeared from
the speech of the Noldor (such things happen when you are busy
fighting Orcs, Balrogs, and Dragons)."