Re: [Monotone-devel] 0.5 release

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] 0.5 release
Date: 28 Sep 2003 13:30:10 -0600

>>>>> "graydon" == graydon hoare <address@hidden> writes:

graydon> this is the first version I'm publishing as binary packages (.deb and
graydon> .rpm) as well as plain static binaries, and while the packages aren't
graydon> the first I've *ever* built for these systems, I'm pretty rusty and
graydon> probably got a lot wrong. feel free to offer corrections about the
graydon> packaging.

For Fedora Core it would be nice to have a yum repository set up.  (I
haven't installed FC yet, but I hear yum is included...)

http://www.phy.duke.edu/~rgb/General/yum_HOWTO/yum_HOWTO/yum_HOWTO-3.html

One thing package maintainers sometimes do is have a .spec.in file, so
that the version number can be automatically grabbed from configure.
Then you only have to maintain the version number in a single place.
I'm not sure if this is considered "best practice" or not.

I took a quick look at the .spec file.  It looks pretty good to me,
not that I'm an expert.  The install-info bits look a bit weird, but
that's probably because monotone.texi is missing @dircategory and
@direntry.  I'll fix that.

Tom