[Monotone-devel] Problems with cvs_import

From: Kevin Smith
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Problems with cvs_import
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2003 22:04:37 -0800

Greetings,

I'm trying to get started with monotone 0.7, and hit a couple snags.

First, the .deb file depends on boost 1.3.0, but Testing is up to 1.3.2, so it wouldn't install. I'm no expert on Debian packaging, but a dependency on >= 1.3.0 seems like a better choice. Fortunately, I was able to download the rpm and use alien.

Next, I tried to import an existing CVS project. I created a database, and created my keys. I then did the cvs_import command, and it seemed to work. But...now what?

I want to do a checkout, but it requires me to specify a manifest id. There are many manifests in my database, but I don't know which one is the head.

I checked one out at random, and hoped to be able to do a "heads", but it requires me to specify a branch. Doing a "list branches" shows nothing. I tried the import again with --verbose, but didn't see any helpful information.

It would be great if you could post a quick "HOWTO convert a CVS repository to monotone" note somewhere.

Thanks much,

Kevin

P.S. I seem to be taking the grand VCS tour. I'm using CVS, but recently considered subversion, then explored arch, then darcs, and now monotone. Each seemed more interesting and radical than the one before! So far, monotone seems to have the best combination of design, implementation, and community. But it would be nice to actually see it work on one of my projects before I jump to conclusions :-)