Re: [Monotone-devel] What _if_ the hash for two manifests happens to be

From: Magnus Therning
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] What _if_ the hash for two manifests happens to be the same?
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 00:31:48 +0100

On Sat, Nov 22, 2003 at 02:28:59PM -0500, graydon hoare wrote:
>Magnus Therning <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Could I have prevented this in some way?
>> How do I resolve this? ('monotone co c2b .' gives me the first version)
>
>I don't mean to sound dismissive, but I would guess that
>c2b074a72152abe1b1c21b3e1fbb0d1d69ec8d5f is both the ancestor *and*
>merged version, that they are bit for bit identical trees. in other
>words, I would guess that your sentence:

You aren't dismissive at all. It took some time for me to grasp what
actually happened, and I think I know what, and also why (a local
configuration mistake) it happened. (Don't you just love that your
project seems to have reached the maturity where stupid users start
using it? ;-)

>  'monotone co c2b .' gives me the first version
>
>could just as readily say
>
>  'monotone co c2b .' gives me the merged version
>
>and be true. I suspect those versions are the same; else you have
>managed to collide SHA1 on your first outing, which would be quite a
>feat (you would be famous, if not rich, from the result).

I doubt I somehow could make a fortune out of it, even if I had managed
to get a "true" collision ;-)

They are the same indeed! I would have liked to be able to undo my
mistake. How useful would 'unmerge' be?

Correct me if I am wrong:

 - A 'merge' is done in the "tree" (i.e. database immediately).

This would mean:

 - This makes it different from 'cvs up -jX -jY' which always happens
   in the work space.

 - No explicit 'commit' is needed to put things into the tree,
   and any fixes that are needed to correct merge mistakes have to be
   commited separately.

 - The current directory isn't affected at all, and any work spaces
   based on one of the previous heads have to be updated to reflect the
   changes.

/M

address@hidden
http://magnus.therning.org/

"Sendmail" and "make" are two well known programs that are pretty widely
regarded as being debugged into existence. That's why their command
languages are so poorly thought out and difficult to learn.  It's not
just you -- everyone finds them troublesome.
     -- Peter van der Linden, Expert C Programming, p. 220