Re: [Monotone-devel] Several questions

From: graydon hoare
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Several questions
Date: 26 Nov 2003 13:36:25 -0500

graydon hoare <address@hidden> writes:

> (another possibility possibly worth exploring would be to teach
>  automake enough about monotone that it packages MT/manifest during
>  distcheck, and includes a rule for end users to "make the source tree
>  assume the shape described by MT/manifest")

in fact, having checked.. it might be even easier than that. the only
files in MT/manifest *not* put in the tarball by automake -- I just
checked -- are debian/* and monotone.spec; those are accidental
omissions and should be EXTRA_DIST'ed in future releases. we can just
as easily add MT/manifest as an EXTRA_DIST file too, and then when
you've unpacked the tarball you'll *have* a monotone working copy
(albeit one with some extra, unknown files)

if you commit that working directory to a database, monotone should (I
hope) load in all the files it hasn't seen before. if it doesn't
currently, that's a bug. then, crossing fingers.. you should just be
able to make changes from there, and commit/queue them.

I'll put together a testcase for this, and add a section to the docs,
because it's going to be a common enough need.

-graydon