Re: [Monotone-devel] I18n, filename encoding, text file encoding

From: graydon hoare
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] I18n, filename encoding, text file encoding
Date: 28 Nov 2003 10:58:44 -0500

Christof Petig <address@hidden> writes:

> To make local use possible now, monotone should allow binary
> filenames (containing spaces as well as high bit characters (in
> whatever encoding used by the importer)). Actually this prevents me
> from dumping cvs right now. A later migration to UTF-8 etc might be
> done using rename operations...

yeah. I agree with most of what you're saying here (especially the
part about people not all having migrated to UTF-8, that's quite
true). I posted a message on this a little while ago:

http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/monotone-devel/2003-11/msg00104.html

and the resulting thread contained some good suggestions /
modifications. I'm still not completely decided on whether to let
people *store* manifests (internally) in a non-normalized form --
using their own character set -- or to always normalize paths to UTF-8
for internal use. I think at least for path names, the latter may well
win; monotone actively interprets manifest files, so it has to be able
to parse them no matter what. I don't think I can ensure that for all
possible character sets.

other files, I'm leaning towards just letting users use conversion
hooks. all we need to be able to do in normal files is locate line
endings (for line-merging text files), and even that is optional.

in any case, i18n is the major focus for me for the 0.8 -> 0.9 release
cycle, i.e. what I'm working on in the evenings *now*. so I'll have
something hobbling along soon, and we can debate the merits of how it
works in practise :)

> $ monotone --db=monotone.db lscerts manifest dcc23
> should read
> $ monotone --db=monotone.db ls certs manifest dcc23

oh, thanks (it used to be called "lscerts", but no longer)

-graydon