Re: [Monotone-devel] compatibility woes

From: graydon hoare
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] compatibility woes
Date: 28 Nov 2003 11:14:32 -0500

Christof Petig <address@hidden> writes:

> It would be kind to design the configure system in a way which makes
> shared linking easily possible for the ones which care
> (--enable-shared ?)

sure, sounds ok.

> I was not as shocked of an incompatible change as I was shocked of the
> advice to delete the database.
>
> What are the downsides of an monotone fetch? Why isn't it enough in
> this case? This bothers me more.

oh, I just meant "absolute easiest". a plain fetch will only get new
packets from the depot; I actually replaced the old (bad) packet
in-place, in the depot, so you need to (at least) fetch again from
sequence number 1000 or so. and anyways, fetching alone doesn't delete
the old cert from your db. the second-easiest thing to do is:

  $ ID=a7cebc58c595545c5e56ce5bb33a9dcee8acb65d

  $ monotone debug "delete from manifest_certs where id='$ID' and name='rename'"

  $ monotone read <<EOF
[mcert a7cebc58c595545c5e56ce5bb33a9dcee8acb65d
       rename
       address@hidden
       H4sICMwlxj8AA3Z2AF3KMQ6AIAwAwJ3HGKgtja8xUGjqIBDD/6Ojul4uQsmsBJFwS6QFsrB6
L8gcOcAayCfNiK61OfYziR2tLiJuXH32N3yC2S88cAMiMDo7awAAAA==]
gwVQugJ5uIk4jRIO4V6OFXReCzSbXmKGXRhFytQY+8qusZRTs4vZtHsnDSm3pwYxTaYd2mMI
vEJnLp6QkkVSfUwAcvrxOdXRM4JgCwYRxmXVrb25vphanB5DfqicYxFaq5nDaGZtdzjhc5IT
Qwefy0mY+tAKHQpOQooTSTyEUBE=
[end]
EOF

and then you'll have my new cert for a7ceb... you'll have to do
something similar if you made any rename certs of your own. I just
figured, well, since relatively few people have fed packets back up
yet, probably most are just "tracking" the off.net depot, rather than
making changes, so fetching anew is even easier.

> I got stuck at the 'space is not allowed in filenames' point during an
> CVS import. Count this mail as another vote for supporting it ;-)

noted. ' ' and '-' both count as internationalized character support
in my book, insofar asqq they'll be addressed on the same time scale
(next few weeks). I hope that's not too long.

-graydon