Re: [Monotone-devel] any equivalent to 'cvs log <file>'?

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] any equivalent to 'cvs log <file>'?
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 16:58:38 -0800

On Sat, Nov 29, 2003 at 12:49:50PM +0000, Julian Seward wrote:

> I too looked for 'cvs log' but failed to find it, so please consider this
> another vote for that to be implemented soon.
>
> As a CVS user considering moving to monotone, I imported a copy of the
> valgrind repo into a monotone db.  Then I wanted to be able to do 'cvs log'
> to try and get some intuition about what M had done with the cvs
> original.
>
> In other words, a 'cvs log' equivalent might have an immediate short-term
> use of helping cvs immigrants make sense of a strange new landscape.

Cheap plug: not quite what you're asking for, but the best tool I know
of for looking at monotone repositories is 'polytony', at
  http://njs.myrathi.com/~njs/monotone/depot.cgi/polytony
(branch polytony, key at
  http://njs.myrathi.com/~njs/monotone/address@hidden
).  It's hackish, the graph layout algorithm sucks, it unconditionally
uses my "bibblebabble" representation for the hex strings, and it
requires Python 2.3+wxPython, but it also lets you quickly get a
visual representation of your tree and click around to gather
information about it.

(I'm not sure how well it will scale to a repository with long term
development in it; I'm curious to hear.)

"On arrival in my ward I was immediately served with lunch. `This is
what you ordered yesterday.' I pointed out that I had just arrived,
only to be told: `This is what your bed ordered.'"
  -- Letter to the Editor, The Times, September 2000