[Monotone-devel] Re: Monotone server problems

From: graydon hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Monotone server problems
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 13:18:12 -0400

Jon Bright wrote:

b462aee1c6c401b3c709a746e9400677c2ffbeb2 | H4sIAAAAAAAAANPiAgDJN2fOAgAAAA==

This just seems a little short to me - though bearing in mind that I do have some 3 byte files in the repository, maybe that's OK. More odd seems:

well,

$ echo H4sIAAAAAAAAANPiAgDJN2fOAgAAAA== | mimencode -u | gunzip
*

looks like a file with a single asterisk in it. a bit weird, but nothing to panic over.

Remaining 90 rows cut, but they all had the exact same value in the delta column and their id and base columns matched one another as these do. Either I'm misunderstanding, or this is a corrupt DB?

well, sorta. it's just a bug, but the bug has inserted a bunch of silly rows into your database. you ought to be able to remove them with this:

$ monotone debug 'delete from file_deltas where base=id'

from your output, it's clear that somehow it's decided to store empty edges in the file storage layer. those are all "no change" deltas (note that the base and id SHA1 values for each delta are the same, and the body is the gzipped and base64-encoded empty string).

that explains why it's been sending you empty packets though! thanks, you saved me a lot of time digging.

it doesn't explain why such rows were stored in the first place. the storage layer should not do that. I'm a bit surprised. I'll have to look into it further. probably the cvs importer is being a little dim about this, as it is the only priviledged code which writes file edges directly.

-graydon