Re: [Monotone-devel] Some Newbie Questions

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Some Newbie Questions
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 16:39:59 -0700

On Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 12:04:12AM +0100, address@hidden wrote:
> I goofed in sending this email earlier - somehow it came through on the
> list with only the first two of the following paragraphs (or at least I
> hope it was my mistake and not that the mail-list software is curtailing
> it because it is too long).

Still only got two paragraphs.  The mailing list regularly carries
longer messages, though; perhaps something wrong with your client
setup?

> I'm not only new to Monotone but also new to version control systems.  But
> after reading some reviews of various VCS, Monotone stood out to me as
> being the most interesting.  In fact, it prompted me to think of other
> uses for it besides version control, and I hope you wouldn't mind
> answering some questions about these things.
>
> I would like to use Monotone to replicate data to a series of distant
> offices which have slow internet connections.  The data they need is
> read-only.  I know that I could use FTP or something like Coda/Intermezzo
> to bring their data to them.  However, what I would prefer is to just have
> a single depot that I update, and then have periodic cron jobs running in
> the local offices to bring the data to them.  I think that Monotone might
> turn out to better than these alternatives.

If you're the only one touching the data, and you don't want version
control, then 'rsync' is probably a better fit than monotone.  Or
possibly 'unison'.  Monotone would probably work too, of course, but
the other tools are more directed at what you seem to want, and more
mature.

Sentience can be such a burden.