Re: [Monotone-devel] Some Newbie Questions

From: Jon Bright
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Some Newbie Questions
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 08:51:20 +0200

Hi,

address@hidden wrote:

I would like to use Monotone to replicate data to a series of distant offices which have slow internet connections. The data they need is read-only. I know that I could use FTP or something like Coda/Intermezzo to bring their data to them. However, what I would prefer is to just have a single depot that I update, and then have periodic cron jobs running in the local offices to bring the data to them. I think that Monotone might turn out to better than these alternatives.

Monotone could do this, but as Nathaniel said, it sounds like rsync would be a better fit. They're actually second cousins in a sense - xdelta, which is what Monotone uses to represent differences between versions, acknowledges that a lot of the inspiration came from rsync.

Find rsync here:

http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/

--
Jon Bright