Re: [Monotone-devel] A better name for "context"

From: Jerome Fisher
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] A better name for "context"
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 15:02:13 +0200

Nathaniel Smith wrote:

I really don't like "changeset", since to me it implies something like
a recursive diff -- enough information to reconstruct a tree B given a
tree A.  The two problems being that "context"s don't exactly contain
that detailed information, and that a "context" is an end-point, not
an transition.  Changesets describe transitions.

As I wrote, I don't like "changeset" for contexts either. But unless Graydon's implementation differs from what was proposed on this mailing list, I don't agree that contexts are more an end point than a transition. They describe both equally:

1) They describe the new state by specifying the new manifest ID.
2) They describe the transition(s) from the ancestor(s) by explicitly listing all file additions, deletions, modifications and renames.

These all have the common problem that they assume a point of view;
they're all talking about a "context" relative to its parents.  Things
quickly become incoherent when you want to say something like "What is
this successor's parent successor's?"

Yeah, they're too directed. I felt that wasn't a good idea myself.

 footstep, footprint, impress, trace, track, tread, rung, feat

Hmm, "rung" has potential.  Or a neologism, like "codestep" or
something... or something like "mnode" for "monotone node"... or just
"tone"?

Surely monotone can only have one tone? :)