[Monotone-devel] Documentation comments

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Documentation comments
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 21:02:34 +0100

Overall the documentation is very good---explaining an idiosyncratic
design rather clearly.  There are a few things that confused me,
though.

Firstly there's the optional file arguments to revert.  It's not at
all surprising that they're there---it's such a natural thing to have,
but it doesn't seem to be in the documentation.

Secondly there's named branches.  The documentation describes making a
fork in a branch, and then merging it---a definitely cool idea that
doesn't (as far as I can tell) have an analogue in other systems.  (I
haven't really used monotone seriously, so I don't know how useful
this'll be in the long term.)

However, it wasn't at all obvious how to create a named branch---a
branch that is expected to last for some time.  I think it would be
good to have a similar chapter showing that scenario, explaining
"monotone commit --branch=<new branch>", and "monotone propagate".
When you create such a branch, it's likely that you'll want to know
about changes committed to the original branch since you last
propagated---so showing how you'd get that information would be
useful.  Oh, unless you just use propagate, and it tells you.  That
seems likely.  Nope, that doesn't seem to do it.