Re: [Monotone-devel] package_revision.txt getting "unknown" when it shou

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] package_revision.txt getting "unknown" when it shouldn't?
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 23:20:58 +0100 (CET)

In message <address@hidden> on Mon, 6 Dec 2004 13:13:13 -0800, Nathaniel Smith
<address@hidden> said:

njs> > The attached change does that.  If noone complains, I'll commit it
njs> > tomorrow evening.
njs>
njs> Only problem I see is that I'd like some extra message written
njs> into the --full-version if we were unable to regenerate it at
njs> build time; right now it can't possibly be stale information
njs> (unless someone is editing files _while_ building), but in
njs> principle someone could download a distribution, make some local
njs> changes, build it, and --full-version would show no sign.

The only way I can see doing that is to keep a list of hashes
(basically the old manifest :-)) and compare with a new generation of
the same.  Or something like that.  It should be external to the
program itself (like a small utility program), so as not to get any
circular dependency.  Shouldn't be too hard to do, it's already done
to check some FIPS signatures in OpenSSL 0.9.7e (in which I'm quite
involved).

njs> Also, some comment on what's going on in those build rules would
njs> be nice, it took me some puzzling to figure it out :-).

Which one puzzles you?

Cheers,
Richard

-----