[Monotone-devel] Making 'log' show affected files

From: Julio M. Merino Vidal
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Making 'log' show affected files
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 12:10:00 +0100

Hi all,

a lot of people don't use changelog files in their projects (I'm one of
them).  Or even if they do, they don't stick the changelog entry in their
commit messages.

So, what happens?  'monotone log' output can look quite ambiguous, and one
needs to manually 'cat revision' to see what happened at each point.

For example, suppose I edit multiple source files in a project and commit
them with a message that says 'Drop trailing whitespace.'.  Someone doing
a 'log' will see this message, but he won't know what was changed.  Even
worse, if after the commit, I find I missed to edit a file, I can do it
and commit it again with the same log message.  Now, you will see two
different entries with the same message.  Were they referring to the same
set of files because there was a mistake?  To different ones?  Or what?

Therefore, I think it is _very_ useful for the 'log' command to show all
affected files in a revision.  And this is what the attached patch does ;-)
I've also attached a sample and short log output with these modifications
for a little project I'm working on.

I would like to get some review on the patch.  It works, but I may be doing
things in an "incorrect" way.  That is, maybe I should be using
basic_io::printer (though I don't think so, given that 'log' directly writes
to cout).  Or maybe there is another way to "merge" information from all
change_sets (what I'm doing now with the changes_summary structure).  Or
maybe anything else I'm missing... ;)

As a data point: Arch and Subversion do this, so it looks like many other
people fins it useful.  Plus maybe you haven't found a need for this yet
since almost all commit messages are in changelog form (but some of them
aren't).

Thanks

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <address@hidden>