[Monotone-devel] Re: netsync doesn't do anything

From: Peter Simons
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: netsync doesn't do anything
Date: 05 Apr 2005 13:58:24 +0200

Nathaniel Smith writes:

 > There is a bug in netsync such that if you have A -> B ->
 > C -> ... arbitrarily much stuff, and A is in one branch 1
 > and B, C, etc. are in branch 2, then netsync'ing branch 2
 > alone will result in the sort of behavior you're seeing.

I see. Thanks for the explanation.

 > The workaround is to make sure that if you want to pull
 > one revision, you're also pulling its complete ancestry
 > at the same time.

 > Does this fix your problems?

No, unfortunately it does not. The setup I have is:

 branch A  =  unfathomably large set of files

 branch B  =  mind-boggingly small subset of A

So for the sake of efficiency, I want users to be able to
pull B _without_ pulling A -- which is precisely the case
that doesn't work.

In other words, it would be really, really nice if this
problem could be fixed, because it's essentially a
show-stopper for me using monotone in this project. :-(

Peter

P. S.: It's a show-stopper because doing a "monotone status"
or "monotone commit" in branch A runs for several minutes on
the fastest machine we have. The developers doing everyday
work in this branch is out of question, unfortunately. We
need to split A into smaller sub-branches, but we need to do
so without losing the ability to propagate changes in B back
into A.