[Monotone-devel] Sanity checking (Was: Re: [ANNOUNCE] monotone 0.18)

From: Jon Bright
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Sanity checking (Was: Re: [ANNOUNCE] monotone 0.18)
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 15:17:46 +0200

Olivier Andrieu wrote:

Now, maybe someone should point out on LKML or on the git ML how
similar in architecture git and monotone are. I mean, if some people
like the idea of addressing things by SHA1 hashes, the ancestry graph,
etc. they might as well hack on monotone :)

I hate to say it, but I fear it's a dead argument while monotone's speed issues remain. 0.18's a big improvement, but it's still not exactly spritely, especially on a tree the size of the kernel - and most of the time is going on the sanity checking.

I'm sure Nathaniel won't like the suggestion, but could we maybe consider a --no-sanity-checking-yes-i-realise-this-might-screw-up-my-life-and-eat-helpless-orphans option? Relying on most people not using this and finding/reporting any problems in the codebase, while people who do use it are left to wail unheard in the darkness if they hit problems?

I understand the case for the sanity checking, but I don't think there's much prospect of optimising it to be an order of magnitude (or two) faster. Since the justification for the checking at the very basic level is "corrupting stuff drives away users", I figure we need to reexamine the situation if the speed hit from the sanity checking starts frightening off users...

If a no-sanity-checking option isn't viable (or is too hated), maybe we could at least look at a seriously-reduced sanity checking option? Do we really need to go three revs back?

--
Jon Bright
Silicon Circus Ltd.