Re: [Monotone-devel] another db ? was: monotone evaluation in commercial

From: Kevin Greiner
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] another db ? was: monotone evaluation in commercial project [long]
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 09:15:26 -0400

Personally, I think the whole "monotone should use [oracle|postgresql|mysql|odbc]" discussion is a big distraction. Monotone just happens to use an internal storage mechanism that just happens to have a SQL "api". From a manager's perspective, monotone's storage is a binary black box. It certainly doesn't fit the typical "application using sql database" and therefore needs a custom data backup procedure. That's common enough.

If, for instance, monotone had decided to use a file-system oriented approach, we wouldn't even be having this discussion. Unless people tried to share their filesystem "db" using NFS. Ugh.